7.04.2010

The Star Spangled Banner

Happy Fourth of July!!!!
Stephen Colbert: Inappropriate? Maybe. Hilarious? You decide...
You can see the hilarious Stephen Colbert celebrating the 4th as only he can above. I hope you and your families have their own 4th of July traditions for you to enjoy.

Go to this link at thedailybeast.com to watch 15 of the Best and Worst renditions of our national anthem. There are some great versions of our nations anthem. At all of the Chap track meets where there has been a national anthem there has been some pretty good versions, as well as some absolutely epic fails. Whatever the case, the event is always enjoyable.


My Favorites of all time:

  • The Best: Whitney Houston at the 1991 Superbowl. A great "Banner" for what I think is the best Superbowl ever.
  • The Worst: Carl Lewis. Oh. My. God. An absolute classic. I have loved this version for years. If any of you listen to the Jim Rome radio show, "The Jungle", you know that no one dissects this song like him. Absolutely hilarious. 
My new favorites from the linked article:
  • The Best: I have always heard about the Marvin Gaye anthem, but never heard it. Now that I have, I love it. I think the majority of the people who visit this blog are teens, and they might not have discovered Marvin Gaye yet. Well, guys, discover Marvin Gaye. He is amazing. Start with the best of and then move on to his deeper cuts. His death also has to be one of the most bizarre, and sad, celebrity deaths ever--lost that guy way too young.
  • The Worst: Michael Bolton. I have never seen that before, but it is absolutely awesome. You can pinpoint the moment where his absolutely colossal celebrity ego comes crashing down. That is one for the ages. The one knock on this version that keeps it from being the worst of all time is that, unlike Carl Lewis' version, Bolton's has to have the visual to go along with it. Nevertheless, very enjoyable.

I hope I still get the traffic for people to enjoy what I think is a real good post. Would love to hear any of my visitors best and worst. Please visit the comments.

Again, Happy fourth of July. If you light off fireworks, runaway real fast, because fireworks are illegal, it is a safety precaution, and it is good speed training.

Take Care,

Nack