3.05.2011

CV v Chap v DC thoughts


A great day with lots of surprises
Thanks to the coaches at Chaparral for hosting us at what I thought was a pretty good scrimmage. Some of the big meets we go to are fun just for watching all the athletes that are there (most of all ours), but I really like these small events where the teams' coaches and athletes have to work together for it to get done.
I kind of had a Doublemint (what a lame reference) day, because I got to "double my pleasure and double my fun"  with seeing a group of coaches and athletes I loved working with in the past, and then getting to attend with my new team that makes me prouder everyday. Getting to see former athletes is awesome, but same goes for watching new athletes prepare and compete. I am very happy with our day!

Next...

This week we have the League Relays. To my knowledge this is the first relay meet CVT&F has ever participated in. They are pretty neat:. In each event we enter 4 athletes that compete and have their results added up (much like a relay race in a regular meet), and then the winner is determined. For instance, if our 4 high jumpers jump 5'0", 5'3", 5'9", and 6'0" we end with a score of 22'0", and are then placed. They do this in all of the events. Wait until you see how they may do the 100/110 hurdles...crazy. Perhaps most importantly, All 4 athletes must get a mark. So, technically an individual does not win any event, a team does.

Practice
Monday 3:15pm in rm8400
Tuesday 3:15 on the track
Wednesday 12:00 on the track (tentative)
Thursday 12:00 on the track (tentative)
Friday JV meet at 3:30...A short practice will be held before the meet. Also, if you're not competing you will be helping to run the meet.

A pretty good question...
Comments in old posts often get buried, but reader Summer posted this good question in the Castle View Track & Field Schedule post
Where can we get times on the meets events etc.? I see some times but todays event I could not locate a time...?? I know its hard to say when it will be over but a range would be helpful. :) thanks 
 A possibly less than satisfying answer...
Summer, thanks for coming by and posting. The time for a track meet ending is fairly unpredictable. For most of the varsity meets we go to, meet directors will issue a schedule during the week of the event. The times on those schedules normally stay true, but there can be major exceptions. To not dodge your question and give some sort of an answer :), I would put the general rule as being from 9-5 for Saturday varsity meets, and 3:30-6:30 for most JV meets. All meets are fun, but they can be long and brutal, so please help make sure your kids have plenty of good food, and water.

Coach Nack