3.10.2011

Little Sleep = Lots O' Sick

A good number of you recognized that I was feeling really terrible today. Well, I have "para-influenza" which my doc termed as not quite the flu, but many of it's symptoms, and what's worse--no treatment. I have always been proud of how rarely I get sick (I don't think I have had anything resembling the flu since I was 13), but feel like I am getting more stuff more frequently as I age.

What on earth could cause this? Well, as I posted about earlier this week, I believe it is sleep, or the lack there of. I have been burning the candle at both ends with work, my own schoolwork, and perhaps most of all staying up at night preparing for our Japanese exchange teacher. I am very excited for this opporunity, but it has caused me to get about 5-6 hours of sleep each night this week as we have been cleaning and making repairs to the house for preparation of her arrival. Of course, with all that "stress" and a lack of sleep I'd get sick. It would be a small miracle if I didn't.

So, athlete, to bring this back to you....How much are you sleeping everyday? Do you get at least 8 hours? Did you know it is actually recommended that at your age you get 9 hours of sleep? (Tell your parents that your coach orders 9 hous of sleep when you are sleeping in on a lazy Sunday morning) What do you do when you start to feel sick? Let me answer that one: you cut back a lot on the work, school, and track and you step up the rest, sleep, and hydration.

For any athlete or parent looking to learn more about sleep check out the book Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival. It is a great introduction to the science of sleep

This post has wiped me out. Back to sleep. See you soon...hopefully.

Coach Nack

PS. Good job with uniform hand out today. Though I was miserable, I thought it went well considering all the circumstances. Thanks for all of your patience.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6