4.02.2011

Post Meet Musings: Mustang Invitational @ Mountain Range HS

Great day up in...up in...Northglenn, I think. Oh well, that doesn't matter. We had a great day. Boys finished the day in first place amongst 15 teams, and the girls had a strong rebound  finishing 7th after a disappointing showing two weeks ago at the TRHS invite.
Full results, click here
Also, if you don't check out Milesplit regularly, start--all results can be found there
Top 18? Check your state qualifying status at Varvee

Boys, we can dote on you later (maybe), but for now I want to say how proud I was of our ladies team. I was VERY proud of our ladies team. Overall I thought the girls team performance was good, and are building towards what I think will be a great 2nd half to the season. After the TRHS invite I was discouraged, bummed, and even a little angry. Today was a different story. Today had great performances. Today had (mostly) healthy athletes. Today I saw some people trying some new things without complaint, and to pretty good success. I think there are a certain few athletes that might be asked to do some of those new things more often as a result.

If there is one thing I love is a little bit of toughness, especially when it comes from a freshman, and it is even better if it is a girl. Today, when I was officiating the high jump I got to watch the start of the girls 1600m run from up close. The race got off to a fast start, and somewhere in the fray young, precocious freshman Kelsey Dalton had her foot stepped on from behind. Kelsey, as a result of being human and subject to gravity, went down pretty hard. When this happens the rule is that the race should be stopped if a runner goes down in the first 100m; however, the officials did not apply this rule in this case (though I bet if that were one of the HRHS athletes that shot would have been fired before skin hit track). Like a boss, Kelsey picked herself up and continued on. As she ran by me I could see that she wanted to cry, hard. She held it together, kept going and went on to run a tough race. Nice job Kelsey!

Zach W in the 110 hurdles at Continental League Relays. Big thanks to Mr. Clark for snapping some photos during this meet. (We'd love to have these every time if any of your parents are interested)

Reminders:

  • The Sabercat Invite is next weekend we will need a lot of help from you and your parents
  • We had scheduled a team barbecue for this week, we are postponing that until next week (because of the Sabercat Invite)
  • Prom + Meet = planning: April 16 we have a meet, and you have prom. All athletes entered will go to the meet, and will compete until 2pm. Before 2pm your attendance is required; after 2pm your attendance is optional.
  • Mondays are required team practices for all athletes. To compete on Saturdays you must be at practice on Mondays. As always we will meet in Coach Lancett's room at 3:15 on Monday.


Coach Nack