1.16.2012

A thought or two from this weekend's meet at the USAFA

Daniel Wheeler was Castle View's lone contestant from Castle View High School at this week's Air Force High School Open at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.

In Daniel's first attempt at running a 60m he ran a 7.35. He beat his seed time (one I arbitrarily made up--way to make me look good Daniel!), and finished second in his heat, and 12th overall in a field of over 40 athletes. Great stuff!
Here's video, shot by his brother (not the best video quality but not bad for an iPod Touch. Thanks, Matt. DW is in lane 1)


You might notice Daniel's new, sweet start. One day of working with Coach Pfeiffer on starts worked out some major kinks. Wish Pfeiff was working with our sprinters full time...oh well...

I have attended this meet for about the last 4-5 years, and I always have such mixed emotions about it. I love it, because it helps focus my mind on the upcoming track season; yet I also have problems with it because the venue makes it seem like it's either really late at night or really early in the morning. Not that any of my young readers would know, but it's kind of like Vegas that way (that's how they get you). It also feels like the acoustics carry anything you say to the ears of anyone within 50ft of you, but that also makes it hard to hear anything in particular. I also have mixed emotions about the athletes I see there, because I always want to see more of our athletes, but wonder how they stack up against the athletes that are members track clubs that train all year round.

Perhaps the biggest problem with this meet is the entry fee. Then entry fee per event for this meet has gone up at least 300% since I've been involved with coaching. This year's entry fee was $20 per event. Per event! That is extraordinary, and I don't know if it's because of increased cost of security measures, but I really hope Colorado USATF finds a way to get that price down. I get the feeling that this charge targets the track clubs whose coiffeurs I'm sure (sometimes) overflow with money, so meet directors know they will pay it. The unfortunate result is that many other athletes, not members of track clubs, are unable to pay the steep entry fees.

Also at the AFA...
Perhaps the meet I am looking forward to the most is the Glenn Peterson Invitational, hosted my Air Academy HS, at the Air Force Academy. The Academy, in the past, has been known to have an old, beat up track that is subject to blustery winds. Well, not much can be done about the weather, but they have laid down a whole new track and it looks awesome! Can't wait for our athletes to run there. Our meet at the AFA is on April 14, and I can't wait to see the following sights then.

Look at that layout...just for track & field. B-E-A-Utiful
Hoping we have the throws in the infield, like at Olympic-style meets



Coach Nack