3.17.2011

Ladies, this is how to high jump.

A little less than a year ago I posted a video of ladies high jump, and some thoughts about it. At a new school with some new athletes I thought a little repost was in order. For some people, all you need to do is see it, to understand it a little better. It is my fortune to have some good athletes to work with, but are new to the event and need to learn from the best now. With that in mind, enjoy, even if it is a repeat for some of you.



Here are some of my thoughts from the original post:

  • Notice the speed that is gained (for example, the very first jumper--Chaunte Howard Lowe...find some more of her on you tube. You will not be disappointed.)
  • Notice the lean in the curve (see all)
  • Notice how close these ladies are to knocking the bar off on each jump. (example: the still frame in the video above--looking at that would you guess she makes that jump) Ridiculous! The thing is, they know where it is, and they know they are close, but they do not let that deter them. They do not give up. And in the end they help us redefine what we think is possible.
My thoughts have really not changed. I do, however, learn something new every time I watch this. This time I was reminded that there are many different ways to high jump. Many of the ladies in the video, who are the best in the world, look very different at times. We, meaning you the athlete and me the coach, have to evaluate what may or may not work, implement appropriate changes, and stick with them even though your performance dips down because we know it will eventually coem back up.

Hope you learned a little something.

Coach Nack