3.19.2011

Saturday Night Post-Meet Musings


VCA 2010 RACE RUN from changoman on Vimeo.
This video has nothing to do with anything, but it is entertaining
Thanks to Coach Sepp for the link.

What a day! It was good, but it was looooong. There is something about wind that makes a day at a track meet seem so much longer. Thank you very much to the athletes, and parents that stuck it out to the very end--I'm glad you were rewarded to a slight break in the wind at the end. If you stuck around you might have heard the good news: our boys took second in what was a very competitive meet of 27 teams. Nice job fellas! There were a lot of highlights on the day, hopefully the wind did not whip them all out of my memory so we can talk about them next week.

Speaking of next week....Here is a schedule of practices (at least how I understand them) for the week of Spring Break. (coaches if you read this and notice a mistake, please contact me with proper information)
  • Coach Whitenack (High Jump)- Wed 3:30pm, Thur 3:30pm, Sat 10am
  • Coach Lancett (Sprints & Hurdles)- Mon 9am-12pm, further practices TBA
  • Coach Martinez (Pole Vault)- Mon 9am-12pm, I believe he is going everyday at 9am, but for now we will say 9am Tue-Fri
  • Coach Kuhn and Euwema (distance)- Mon-Fri 9am
  • Coach Smith (Long & Triple Jump)- ??? All should show for any sprinting workouts
  • Coach Hidy (throws)- ???
No matter what you do make sure you do something everyday. It is an epically bad idea to not work out this week. We have put in all this time, and have done such a high level of volume (i.e. number of foot strikes from running, jumping, etc), that removing the volume for an entire week would ruin most of what we have built. This, I think, is particularly dangerous for athletes that just began track in the spring and did not do winter track or play a winter sport--unfortunately these athletes are the most likely to do as I advise against. If it does happpen the gains we've made would be just as hard or harder to get back.

I will absent for most of the practice times next week. I have to complete projects and field work for my Master's degree next week, so I have to take this time off. It is certainly not by choice. Look forward to working with my HJers Wed, Thur, and Sat. See everyone else Mon, Mar 28.

REMEMBER: FUNDRAISER ENVELOPES ARE DUE BACK ON MONDAY, MARCH 28.